Thursday, December 6, 2007

One Fan to Fire Up the Furnace

 

We live in a high-speed world. We want every thing now. Sadly, the "I want it now" attitude does not working in the field of marketing. Marketing is all cafefully planned, that's why you must assume the position of the bard.

Bards of old traveled the world and weaved their musical webs to whomever would listen. If there were even one person, then the bard would cast his spell. And in the world of music you have to build your fan base one fan at a time.

I remember my first band. I hooked up to sing with this glam rock band a decade ago. We were about to play in the rec room of our dormitory. There were a dozen people and I was excited. It was my first opportunity to play on stage, when the drummer declared, "If there aren't more people, I'm not playing." I was devesated. It awoke me to something a number of bands have...arrogance. And it started me on the bardic path.

Since then, I've made every opportunity to play to individuals. I was down in San Marcos, Texas last year and my partner hadn't yet arrived. A couple came in looking to hear some "Irish" music. I played "An Irish Lullaby" for them. The woman was in tears by the time I ended. Her husband? A music writer for the local paper. Needless to say, we got a spectacular review of our first album!

You see, every person is important. And the more the each individual adores you, the more likely they'll tell their friends and bring them out to shows. And the sad thing is no matter how hard your try to bring a crowd, sometimes they don't come out. So make each show the best it can possibly be for the one or two people in the audience. They will appreciate it, buy your album and tell all their friends.

One devoted fan is worth a hundred casual listeners. And you never know. That one listener could be your ticket to success!

Bard Marc Gunn of the Brobdingnagian Bards has helped 1000's of musicians make money with their musical groups through the Bards Crier Music Marketing and Promotion Ezine and the Texas Musicians' Texas Music Biz Tips. Now you can get personal advice by visiting http://www.bardscrier.com for FREE "how-to" music marketing assistance.

No time to visit the site? Subscribe to the BardsCrier.com distributed weekly for Free. Just email subscribe@bardscrier.com

Labels: , , , , , , , ,